Here are my “7 Steps to Being A Fearless Speaker.” I hope they will prove to be a valuable tool for you. If I can assist you in any way on your journey, please contact me. At the bottom of this page, you will find links to my programs.
7 Steps to Being A Fearless Speaker
Whether you are giving a presentation at work, sharing your opinion at a meeting, or talking to someone one-on-one, you are expressing yourself. The question is, do you feel comfortable and confident being who you are? These 7 steps help you focus on what really matters in any communication-your authentic self.
1. BE SILENT – always start from a place of silence. Quiet yourself. Being comfortable without any words is powerful.
2. BE PRESENT – Focus on the current moment. Let go of concerns about what has happened before or what might happen in the future.
3. BE AWARE – Use your eyes to take in the people you are with. Don’t avoid looking directly at them. Gaze softly and let them see you.
4. BE ATTUNED – Listen to those who are listening to you. Listen to yourself before, during, and after the words are spoken.
5. BE AFFIRMING – Look for the best in others. See the good that is within and don’t get stuck on what they might be thinking.
6. BE CONNECTED – Be with one person at a time and be conversational. Speaking to a group at large dissipates your energy.
7. BE YOURSELF – The most powerful gift is you. Tap into who you are to allow your authentic voice to come forth.
I’m so glad you chose to learn more about Essential Speaking. I offer workshops, private sessions, and E-Courses and my book, Essential Speaking: The 7-Step Guide to Finding Your Real Voice is now available. I hope my insights will continue to help you to find the power of your own voice.
Doreen Downing, Ph.D., is a Clinical Psychologist with over thirty years of experience, the Training Director of Speaking Circles® International, and founder of Essential Speaking. Doreen specializes in the treatment of anxiety caused by the fear of speaking. In addition to her authentic communication workshops and private coaching, she leads Speaking Circles in Berkeley, CA, along with teleconferences, e-courses and seminars throughout the United States, Canada, and Europe.
To contact Dr. Downing, click here.